4 - 6 months
The need for professionals who understand how to code healthcare services and procedures for third-party insurance reimbursement is growing substantially. Physician practices, hospitals, pharmacies, long-term care facilities, chiropractic practices, physical therapy practices, and other healthcare providers all depend on medical billing and coding for insurance carrier reimbursement.
This billing and coding program offers the skills needed to perform complex coding and billing procedures. The program covers: CPT (Introduction, Guidelines, Evaluation and Management), specialty fields (such as surgery, radiology and laboratory), the ICD-10 for both diagnosis and procedure coding, and basic claims processes for insurance reimbursements. It details proper assignment of codes and the process to file claims for reimbursement.
Learners who complete this program are eligible to participate in an optional volunteer externship opportunity with a local company/agency/organization whose work aligns with this area of study in order to gain valuable hands-on experience. As learners progress through their eLearning program, an Externship Coordinator will reach out to coordinate placement. WIOA Approved Program. Cost includes exam fees.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Build medical terms using word parts
- Interpret medical terms
- Describe the various medical specialties
- Recognize medical terms associated with various body systems
- Demonstrate the interconnectedness of body structures
- Communicate effectively in a professional healthcare environment
- Identify the important role of a medical coder in upholding ethical billing practices and in obtaining reimbursement for healthcare services
- Correctly use the ICD-10-CM for diagnostic coding
- Correctly use CPT codes for coding medical procedures
- Apply national and local HCPCS codes and modifiers
- Explain the purpose and use of ICD-10-PCS codes
All materials are within the course.
Measure of Performance
After completing this program, learners will be eligible to take the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS) certification exam. All exam fees are included in cost.